Friday, December 08, 2006

If You Want to Win . . .

. . . you've got to stay in the game.

OK, here's exactly why writers can't let defeat get to them. Wallowing in the misery of rejections and dejection might very well block a new opportunity.

Only two days after my recent submission setback, I got a request for a 50 page partial; I sent the query via e-mail yesterday morning--one of six. Gotta love the 24 hour turn-a-round.

It's an upstart agent, only a few sales under his belt, but he's keeping to the AAR guidelines with a goal to becoming a member. And he's building quite a reputation for being efficient and respectful of a writer's time throughout the submission process.

Honestly, I could use some respectable treatment regarding the time and effort I am putting into the process of submitting my novel. I've got over a dozen queries out to agents that I sent throughout the summer that I haven't heard a word back from yet; that's coming up on five and six months just to get a response for a query, that's ridiculous. Thing is, if these agents would just put something up on their websites stating they are running five to six month behind on responses, I would honor that and submit elsewhere until they catch up. I'm seeing several agents do just that, but not enough.

That concludes my submission blitz for the remainder of the year. I've got sufficient momentum going to get me through the holidays.

No comments: