Sunday, April 30, 2006

I Know Stuff

My second month as a literary fiction editor is off to a great start. My managing editor said I was doing an excellent job and had focused editorial savvy! I always knew I had something, just didn't know what to call it.

Reminds me of a time several years ago when someone in a crit group I had organized jumped up from her chair, leaned over the table and wagged her finger in my face, "What makes you think you can tell me how to make my story better?"

I'm usually not at a loss for words, but she was actually frightening. I stuttered a bit, and then answered her question. "Because I know stuff." Not a very eloquent come back-- I admit it-- but the other members of the group laughed, and she left in a huff without giving me a black eye for pointing out several confusing point of view shifts in her short story.

Now, thanks to my managing editor, the next time someone asks me what makes me think I can tell them how to make their story better, I'll have a great comeback--I have focused editorial savvy, that's why! That'll get me a black eye for sure :-)

My name will be added to the masthead this month, and I'm hoping to have plenty of opportunities to strut my stuff, when the submissions start filling up my e-mail box.

No comments: